Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Crockpot "Roasted" Chicken & Veggies

I was thinking all day today about how I should start my first actual post...so I thought I'd start with how I start out my week. Every Sunday I go grocery shopping for the week and then start cooking my meals.. FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK. For some that sounds crazy, who wants to stand in front of a hot oven and cook for hours upon hours? I have found that it helps maintain a lot healthier eating week. Not only do you ONLY buy and prepare healthy meals,but it is a lot easier to eat healthy if they are as accessible as junk food (chips are my weakness and way to easy to get a hold of).  
Also, being a college student, who works part time, studies, keeps a (precious) puppy happy, and trying to fit in my 3x weekly Big Brother obsession enjoyment makes it a little hard to buy,prep, and cook healthy meals throughout the week. So far this has been a HUGE help to me. However though I actually do enjoy cooking so I really look forward to Sundays.

Crock Pot "Roasted" Chicken & Vegetables

Prep Time: 30 Minutes

Cook Time:5 Hours

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken (mine was $4.07 & 5lbs!!)
Any Vegetables you like (mine were carrots&potatoes)
1 onion quartered
3 cloves of garlic (or less if preferred)
2 tablespoons Tony's
2 tablespoons Perfect Pinch Vegetable Seasoning
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
~2 teaspoons Poultry Seasoning (I just coated the bird)
(Or use any of your favorite rub seasonings)

When prepping your chicken be sure to take alll the icky insides out..not my favorite part by far.. wash the chicken and make sure to completely dry it. I then washed the vegetables, quartered the potatoes and stuck them all on the bottom of the crockpot. Once you dried off the chicken coat it in the mixed up seasoning mixture until covered. I like to rub seasoning between the breast and the skin to get the added flavor and I feel it soaks in more, but completely optional. Before putting the bird in the crockpout  I stuffed the inside with half the garlic, and all of the quartered onion. After putting the stuffed and seasoned bird into the crockpot I sprinkles the rest of the garlic along the sides of the bird to rest above the root veggies. I used a Hamilton Beach crockpot so the time might vary, at 5 hours on high my lovely, delicious bird was falling off the bone! After letting it cool burning all of my fingers I shredded it and stuck all of the chicken and veggies into seperate tupperwares to be ready for my salads, chicken salads, roasted chicken and veggie dinners, and many more!
 
 
Hope you enjoy!
AL <3

No comments:

Post a Comment